Dev Diary

All posts relating to the development of OmniGameZ
stigzler
Founder

Roles

Accolades

#11 Controllers assemble!

Post by stigzler »

It's been a bit of a slog today, with many tedious points dealing with funny control behaviours. However, now making headway with integrating the controls database into the admin front end. You can see the new item selector below:

itemsel2.png

I've also move a few thing around on the ItemSelector - you can now see all of the selected items whilst navigating around the list - a lot more friendly. 

Also, an idea of the properties page:

itemprops.png

Had fun and games with comboboxes and databindings (urgh - that never gets any easier).

On an aside, A UK fella here who does a lot of C64 stuff. You should check his site and youtube vids: HERE

One foot in front of the other...

stigzler
Founder

Roles

Accolades

#12 Progress with controls

Post by stigzler »

:D Productive evening. Implemented the default control image show and updated my image viewer control (you can now set what image title you would prefer to see first - ignores order of images added). Also modified the main properties drop-down selector to include ability to custom populate the list (for controls, it directly populates these from the files in the present default directory). If only I had more time and less commitments.. I wonder if it is truly possible to give up your job for a while and live an alternative life??  :geek:

stigzler
Founder

Roles

Accolades

#13 Quit my job and on a career break - onto full time OGZ development!

Post by stigzler »

So - I now have more time to devote to OminGameZ development...

✌️😆

stigzler
Founder

Roles

Accolades

#14 Database doldrums....

Post by stigzler »

Blurgh... things have taken a bit of a different tac. Firstly, I've decided to explore asp.net MVC for my website as I just want to cut the cord from wordpress for my main site. Just too clunky.

Secondly, I'm seriously considering changing my approach to game metadata and assets. 

Both of these have necessitated looking into upgrades for my present MySQL version. Trouble was - had to upgrade over series releases, which meant a few heart in mouth moments!

However, think I've succeeded in doing so + now on a new version of MySQL. This should also make dev easier with Visual Studio....

Some links for prosperity:

Upgrade | mysql_upgrade | mysql for vs

Goal for the rest of the week: exploring asp.net, MVC and MySQL for new website (including centralised user signups which will be helpful). 

stigzler
Founder

Roles

Accolades

#15 Re: Nightmare day brought back from the brink....

Post by stigzler »

apocalypse-1400x788.jpg

Apocalypse now! 

Well, nearly. Urgh - what a day. Following on from my last post, made some great progress with ASP.net MVC. Spent a couple of days looking into this and it's a very usable tool. However, had a devastating turn this morning where I thought I'd lost a lot of my MysSql databases. This occurred during my trying to update between series versions. Things went awry, but I thought all was not lost due to my trusty backup solution using this tool here. Script was working fine. I hadn't updated it with what tables to back up for a long time - so half my tables missing. 

This could have been serious as it effected all parts of my two sites. A full day of hair pulling ensued and I came close to giving in - resigning to staring both sites from scratch again. However, around mid afternoon I fell on with a discovery of how to use wordpress' Updraft backups manually. The added bonus was that I could revive my main OmniGameZ site, rendering the asp.net plans redundant as the new mysql update has sped things up a lot...

Makes you old this lark... 😖